DSC Tech Library
CTI Computer Telephony Integration
This section of our technical library presents information and documentation relating to Computer Telephony and Computer Telephony Integration software and products.
Computer Telephony Integration CTI software is a rich set of phone software library routines that enable application programs to control your phone system.
This comprehensive CTI software lets you increase employee productivity, enhance customer service and reduce costs by combining the capabilities of our PACER phone system with the custom functionality of your Windows, Unix or Web applications.
Data collected by your phone ACD (Automatic Call Distribution) or IVR (Interactive Voice Response) systems can be passed to your existing PC, Unix or Web applications through our phone software.
The PACER predictive dialer can automatically call your customers and pass only connected calls to your agents. With our computer telephony software, your telephone and computer work together to provide cost-saving benefits.
Text To Speech List of Products
University Of Toronto
Text-to-Speech software is used to convert words from a computer document (e.g. word processor document, web page) into audible speech spoken through the computer speaker. This would be helpful to people who need or want aural verification of what they are seeing in print. Text-to-speech technology can be integrated with OCR systems. Text to Speech software is different from Screen Reading technology in that it does not read any system information (such as file structure or alter boxes)
Note that with software that produces a "sound" or voice output, you also need a PC compatible sound card [which usually comes with Pentium based computers]
Points to ponder - Questions to consider when shopping for text-to-speech software
Is it compatible with your computer's platform?
Can it save to .wav or .mp3 formats for later listening?
What file formats does it support?
Is it Internet-compatible?
Can it scan from a printed page (optical character recognition)?
Does it have multi-language support?
Can the reading voice be adjusted and/or trained?
Windows Based Software
- ReadPlease 2003 is a free text to speech package for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP .
- The ATRC has a tutorial on Downloading and Installing ReadPlease 2003 available. link: tutorial
- TextAloud MP3 converts any text into spoken words and MP3 files
- Files may be listened to immediately, or save to .wav or MP3 files to hear later at your convenience
- TextAloud can be tried for 15 days free by downloading a fully functional demo at the Next Up Technology Home Page
- WriteAway 2000 from The Institute on Applied Technology of The Boston Children's Hospital and Information Services Inc.
- word processor with built-in word prediction
- variable vocabularies and frequency settings
- various built-in text-to-speech options
- Elan Text to Speech Technology has a variety of text to speech products:
- Speech Cube for use in Windows NT, Unix SCO, Unix Solaris, Linux
- Proverbe Speech Platform is a multilingual text to speech system and is often used by people using screen readers who also need access to multilingual documents [used as a speech syntheisizer]
- Proverbe Speech Unit "forms a link between your information technology system and the telephone networks" [from the web page]
- Dial and Play is designed to "liberate you from your PC in terms of e-mail access" [paraphrased from web site]
- E-language tools "bring meaning and emotion to the spoken word" [from the web site]
- Elan also has multimedia tools in the form of Speech Engine SDK-DLL version, Speech Engine SAPI, and Speech Engine for use on OS/2 - all of which are multilingual
- Clip&Talk for Windows 3.1x/95/98/NT, Windows compatible sound card
- Add speech capability to Windows applications. Designed to work with any application that can put text on the clipboard.
- Download the Trial version which reads up to 600 words
- WinSpeech for Windows 3.1x) / 3.0N (for Windows 95/98/NT) is also available from PC WholeWare.
- Will read in text files and convert each word to a phonetic equivalent for more natural sounding speech.
- Supports DDE so that other Windows applications can send text to it for reading. Expandable dictionary.
- "Help Read" from The Hawaii Education Literacy Project
- Will automatically read clipboard text or .txt documents.
- Supports both English and Hawaiian Language.
- The ATRC has a tutorial on Downloading and Installing HELP Read available. link: tutorial.
- "textHELP" by Lorien Systems
- TextHELP! has been specifically designed for people with reading and writing difficulties; especially dyslexia. It is a vocabulary support package which talks, types, checks spellings, corrects mistakes and has word prediction
- AT&T Natural Voices Text-To-Speech Engine web site.
- A demo of text-to-speech
- Definition and vision of text-to-speech application
- TextSound 1.0 by ByteCool Software
- Converts text files to wav format.
- Handles batch conversions.
- Recognizes voices from a number of other text to speech software packages.
- Free trial download available from web site.
Macintosh Based Software
- "Reading Mouse" from Dangerous Games -
- "Reading Mouse" has an animated face that will read any text file to you in any Plaintalk voice.
- "ULTimate Reader" for Windows 3.x, Windows95 or Macintosh
- reads digital text from any source with flexible voice and highlighting combinations.
- "MacYack Pro" (NOTE: This website has not been edited since 1996) from Scantron Quality Computers
- A commercial text-to-speech program for the Macintosh
- Speak documents, create speaking alerts, add speech to other programs with AppleScript.
Stand Alone Text to Speech Tools
- Quick Link Pen by WizCom Technologies USA
- This "reading pen" is a portable pen shaped device that can scan a word and read it to the user
- The Quick Link is available in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese
Resources and Tutorials
- The ATRC has tutorials for downloading and installing Read Please 2000 and Help Read available.
- Dyslexic.com has a good reference page for books and software tools that you might find helful
- The LD Resources Web Page has a review of the "Quicktionary Reading Pen"